Edgar Schwan (ANF)
| AmigaOS 4: X11 environment AmiCygnix 1.7|
Edgar Schwan's AmiCygnix is a Unix environment for AmigaOS 4. It is not an emulation, but all programs are compiled natively for AmigaOS 4 (screenshot). AmiCygnix provides a directory and data structure similar to that of a Unix installation.
Version 1.7 contains some innovations around the topic "start of external programs" (remote start), furthermore a Unix and an Amiga shell is now available for the display drivers for the Workbench (screenshot). Besides that some bugs have been fixed by completely reworking the utility library "libaos4util" for AmiCygnix and by adding the coreutils package also some dependencies to the AmigaOS 4 SDK have been removed.
New in AmiCygnix-Base:
New in AmiCygnix tools:
- All display drivers for the Workbench now have a menu to start a Unix or an Amiga shell. The environment of these shells is specially adapted to AmiCygnix. Another menu item can be used to open a dialer to change the access rights to the X server (screenshot). These shells can also be started via the "System Tools" menu of the desktop panel.
- Until AmiCygnix 1.6 there were some dependencies to the SDK. The commands of the coreutils package needed by some shell scripts were not included in AmiCygnix. Especially the ROX-Filer was affected by this. These commands are now included and can be used in the shells.
- Due to a bug in Newlib the arguments of some shell commands were not read correctly. Especially the backslash "\" was affected. This has now been fixed.
- The AmiCygnix shell commands compiled with Newlib did not have wildcard support (resolution of "*" in filenames), unlike the AmigaOS 4 SDK versions. This has now been incorporated so that a Unix shell is no longer required for the affected shell commands.
- Now includes an AmiCygnix adapted version of the ABC shell called "acxsh" for better compatibility with AmiCygnix
- In the newly introduced directory "Prefs" is an adjustor for the treatment of the access rights on the X server. Important for calling external programs (remote start).
- A script named "Start_XServer_Only.bat" allows to start an X server without starting an application. This is mainly intended for starting external programs
- Update of the SSL/TLS layer "GnuTLS" to version 3.7.3; this fixes some problems with certificates.
- Updated the integrated root certificates for GnuTLS and OpenSSL.
- Now includes the new GTK+ default theme "Adwaita", which is now also the default theme for GTK+ 2 and GTK+ 3 programs.
- Support for GTK+ 3 programs was buggy; this bug has been fixed.
- Revised versions of the "myX11Setup" and "myX11SetupLight" setters.
- When using the window manager "dwm" (Dynamic Window Manager) introduced with AmiCygnix 1.5, no key combinations with ALT could be used. For key commands for "dwm" the left Amiga key is now used.
- The library "libaos4util" used in all AmiCygnix programs has been completely reworked and all programs have been linked to it again.
- The support of the old "threads.library" has been removed. This is no longer needed by any of the current programs.
- The printer tool "lpr" could crash; this has been fixed.
- The data for the time zones has been updated.
- With installed AmigaOS 4 SDK the commands of the SDK are preferred now with the environment variable "PATH" of the ABC Shell. Basically general environment variables are set at the start of AmiCygnix only if they are not present in ENVARC:.
- Many other bug fixes.
- All programs have been relinked with the revised version of the utility library "libaos4util".
- The browser "NetSurf" and the included command "curl" have been linked with the new version 3.7.3 of the SSL/TLS layer "GnuTLS". This should fix problems with certificates and SSL connections.
amicygnix-base.lha (148 MB)
amicygnix-tools.lha (95 MB) (snx)
[News message: 06. Jan. 2023, 16:07] [Comments: 0]
[Send via e-mail] [Print version] [ASCII version]